Vice President of Policy and Research
Better Medicare Alliance (BMA), a Washington based non-profit that advocates for Medicare Advantage on behalf of a coalition of stakeholder organizations, and beneficiaries is seeking a Vice President of Policy and Research. The candidate will be expected to have experience in the legislative and regulatory policy community and have the analytical skills and relationships to lead the policy and research function of the organization. The Vice President of Policy and Research is responsible for monitoring and analyzing regulation and legislation, developing, and implementing BMA’s research agenda, as well as working with coalition partners to gather information and develop policy positions and recommendations. The Vice President of Policy and Research is expected to engage directly with Congress, the Administration, BMA Ally organizations, and influential policymakers and stakeholders.
The successful candidate will:
• Partner with the President & CEO to define the strategic direction of the policy and advocacy objectives and the investments necessary to achieve those objectives.
• Serve as a member of the organization’s Senior Leadership Team and contribute to the achievement of high impact Organization-approved goals.
• Lead the process to develop, grow and maintain a formal posture for federal, state, and local public policy initiatives.
• Develop strategic direction and tactics to advance and protect Medicare Advantage working closely with Ally organization executives; drive consensus-building efforts with Allies and within the organization.
• Manage all aspects of the policy and research team to ensure the advocacy goals of the organization are achieved; work with staff collectively and on an individual basis to develop strategic policy, policy analysis and related workplans to achieve BMA’s goals of serving MA beneficiaries.
• Manage external consultants and ensure they are informed of organizational objectives, understand their expectations, and achieve established advocacy goals focused on policy and research.
• Oversee and ensure an effective key influential/stakeholder outreach program to support the strategic objectives with the CEO and other top subject matter expert leaders.
• Support the development of policy positions and strategies to advance the interests of BMA.
• Anticipate emerging government, public, or community/social issues of importance and position BMA to address those issues.
• Serve as the trusted, internal thought leader on policy, and public-sector matters, as well as public sector strategic decisions and the impact of these decisions.
• Develop a working relationship with key leaders and policy makers, including but not limited to elected and appointed administrative and regulatory officials and staff, congressional staff and other leaders in the federal, state, and local executive and legislative branches, with a key focus on those with jurisdictional influence over Medicare Advantage.
• Drive strong and deep public policy analysis and research, and partner to advance Medicare Advantage’s value proposition and thought leadership positioning.
• Develop policies, strategies, processes and plans for communicating to diverse groups in a clear, strategic, and sensitive professional manner.
• Proactively seek opportunities to provide membership value.
• Lead presentations to BMA Board, Allies, and other relevant stakeholders to build consensus.
• Be responsible for the engagement and morale of his/her team and ensure that strong positive relationships are developed with other parts of the organization, with Board members, and other stakeholders.
Additional qualifications will include:
• 15 years of successful leadership experience leading and managing public policy teams in a consulting firm, corporate, association, and/or Capitol Hill/Administration setting.
• Deep knowledge of Medicare Advantage.
• 10 years’ experience working in a health care policy environment where Medicare Advantage was one of the priority issues.
• 10 years’ experience as a policy and research strategist, with demonstrated years as an analyst and researcher; working closely with executive and legislative bodies, agencies, and departments at the state and federal level.
• Ability to work with members in the development of policy positions with the goal of producing aligned agendas that further BMA’s priorities; demonstrated skills in leading consensus-building processes.
• Organizational leadership and management experience, the ability to motivate others to advance goals, and the ability to effectively manage multiple projects or roles in a rapidly evolving environment.
• Sound understanding of regulatory processes and programs that impact BMA and its Ally organizations. The ability to balance multiple, sometimes conflicting priorities to achieve a positive outcome.
• Ability to navigate high-impact and complex situations.
• An eagerness to execute a hands-on approach to build credibility, relationships, and knowledge.
• Outstanding personal communicator with the stature and presence to represent the organization at industry forums and events, public policy arenas with stakeholders, partners, and other trade associations, and a track record of nurturing positive relationships with legislators, administrators, and thought leaders, as well as with senior management.
• The ability to persuasively communicate complex concepts and programs into concise and credible messages at the highest levels of government and business, with a proven track record of delivering high-volume and high-quality work.
• Executive presence and strong verbal, written and public speaking and presentation skills, for both internal and external audiences.
• A collaborative style, interactive with the courage and conviction to challenge and defend ideas and strategies; ability to offer creative pathways or alternative solutions both internally and externally.
• Excellent organizational skills.
BMA offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. Please send resume, references, and applicable writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.