Vice President of Government Affairs
Better Medicare Alliance (BMA), a Washington based non-profit that advocates for Medicare Advantage on behalf of a coalition of stakeholder organizations, and beneficiaries is seeking a Vice President of Government Affairs. The candidate will be expected to have experience on Capitol Hill and have the skills and relationships to lead the government affairs function of the organization. The Vice President will be an integral part of the senior team and will collaborate on developing and implementing the strategic plan for the government affairs function of BMA. The Vice President of Government Affairs is expected to engage directly with Congress, the Administration, BMA Ally organizations, and influential policymakers and stakeholders.
The successful candidate will:
• Partner with the President & CEO to define the strategic direction of the policy and advocacy objectives and the investments necessary to achieve those objectives.
• Serve as a member of the organization’s Senior Leadership Team and contribute to the achievement of high impact Organization-approved goals.
• Lead the process to develop, grow and maintain a formal posture for federal, state, and local public policy initiatives.
• Develop strategic direction and tactics to advance and protect Medicare Advantage working closely with Ally organization executives; drive consensus-building efforts with Allies and within the organization.
• Manage all aspects of the government affairs team to ensure the advocacy goals of the organization are achieved; work with staff collectively and on an individual basis to develop strategies and related workplans to achieve BMA’s goals.
• Manage external consultants and ensure they are informed of organizational objectives, understand their expectations, and achieve established advocacy goals.
• Oversee and ensure an effective key, influential stakeholder outreach program to support the CEO in promoting the organization’s strategic objectives with top subject matter expert leaders.
• Support the development of policy positions and strategies to advance the interests of BMA.
• Anticipate emerging government, public, or community/social issues of importance and position BMA to address those issues.
• Serve as the trusted, internal thought leader on legislative, and public-sector matters, as well as on public sector strategic decisions and the impact of these decisions.
• Develop working relationship with key leaders and policy makers, including but not limited to elected and appointed legislative and congressional staff; administrative and regulatory officials and staff, and other leaders in the federal, state, and local executive and legislative branches, with a key focus on those with jurisdictional influence over Medicare Advantage.
• Focus on driving strong and deep public policy analysis and research working closely with the VP of Policy; Partner with stakeholders to advance Medicare Advantage’s value proposition and thought leadership positioning.
• Develop policies, strategies, processes and plans for communicating to diverse groups in a clear, strategic, and sensitive professional manner.
• Proactively seek opportunities to provide membership value.
• Lead presentations to the Board, Allies and other relevant stakeholders to build consensus.
• Be responsible for the engagement and morale of his/her team and ensure that strong positive relationships are developed with other parts of the organization, with Board members, policymakers and other stakeholders.
Additional qualifications will include:
• 15 years of successful leadership experience leading and managing advocacy and public policy teams in a corporate, association, and/or Capitol Hill/Administration setting.
• Organizational leadership and management experience, the ability to motivate others to advance goals, and the ability to effectively manage multiple projects or roles in a rapidly evolving environment.
• Experience as a political strategist, working closely with executive and legislative bodies, agencies, and departments at the state and federal level.
• Ability to work with members in the development of policy positions with the goal of producing aligned agendas that further BMA’s priorities; demonstrated skills in leading consensus-building processes.
• The ability to balance multiple, sometimes conflicting priorities to achieve a positive outcome.
• Sound understanding of legislative processes and regulatory programs that impact BMA and its Ally organizations.
• Ability to navigate high-impact and complex situations.
• An eagerness to execute a hands-on approach to build credibility, relationships, and knowledge.
• Outstanding personal communicator with the stature and presence to represent the organization at industry forums and events, legislative arenas with stakeholders, partners, and other trade associations, and a track record of nurturing positive relationships with legislators, administrators, and lobbyists, as well as with senior management.
• The ability to persuasively communicate complex concepts and programs into concise and credible messages at the highest levels of government and business, with a proven track record of delivering high-volume and high-quality work.
• Executive presence and strong verbal, written and public speaking and presentation skills, for both internal and external audiences.
• A collaborative style, interactive with the courage and conviction to challenge and defend ideas and strategies; ability to offer creative pathways or alternative solutions both internally and externally.
• Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
BMA offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. Please send resume, references, and applicable writing samples to email@example.com.