Senior Director of Government Affairs
Better Medicare Alliance (BMA), a Washington, D.C. based non-profit that advocates for Medicare Advantage on behalf of a coalition of stakeholder organizations, and beneficiaries is seeking a Senior Director of Government Affairs (GA). The candidate will be expected to have experience working on Capitol Hill and with organizations lobbying Capitol Hill. They should have the skills and relationships to enable them to work closely with the Vice President of GA in supporting the government affairs function of the organization. The Senior Director of Government Affairs will also serve as the lead Republican lobbyist for BMA, working with the House and the Senate, including Committee staff, on Medicare Advantage policy and engaging with BMA Allies advocating for Medicare Advantage.
The Senior Director of Government Affairs will be an integral part of the organization and will work with the Vice President of Government Affairs in developing and implementing the government affairs related functions included in the BMA Strategic Plan. The Senior Director of Government Affairs is expected to engage directly with Congress, the Administration, BMA Ally organizations, stakeholders and organizations advocating for Medicare Advantage.
- Partner with the President & CEO and other members of the executive-level BMA team and support the Vice President of Government Affairs to define the strategic direction of the organization’s policy and advocacy objectives and the investments necessary to achieve those objectives.
- Serve as the lead Republican lobbyist.
- Develop strategic direction and tactics to advance and protect Medicare Advantage, working closely with Ally organization executives; drive consensus-building efforts with Allies and within the organization.
- Manage all aspects of the government affairs team to ensure the advocacy goals of the organization are achieved; work with BMA staff collectively and on an individual basis to develop strategies and related workplans to achieve the Alliance’s goals.
- Manage external consultants and ensure they are informed of organizational objectives, understand their expectations, and achieve established advocacy goals.
- Oversee and ensure an effective key, influential stakeholder outreach program to support the CEO in promoting the organization’s strategic objectives with top subject matter expert leaders.
- Support the development of policy positions and strategies to advance the interests of BMA.
- Anticipate emerging government, public, or community/social issues of importance and position BMA to address those issues.
- Serve as the trusted, internal thought leader on legislative, and public-sector matters, as well as on public sector strategic decisions and the impact of these decisions.
- Develop working relationship with key leaders and policy makers, including but not limited to elected legislators and staff; administrative and regulatory officials and staff, and other
- 10-15 years of successful leadership experience leading and managing advocacy and public policy teams in a corporate, association, and/or Capitol Hill/Administration setting.
- Organizational leadership and management experience, the ability to motivate others to advance goals, and the ability to effectively manage multiple projects or roles in a rapidly evolving environment.
- Experience as a political strategist, working closely with executive and legislative bodies, agencies, and departments at the state and federal level.
- Ability to work with Ally members in the development of policy positions with the goal of producing aligned agendas that further BMA’s priorities; demonstrated skills in leading consensus-building processes.
- The ability to balance multiple, sometimes conflicting priorities to achieve a positive outcome.
- Solid understanding of legislative processes and regulatory programs that impact BMA and its Ally organizations.
- Ability to navigate high-impact and complex situations.
- An eagerness to execute a hands-on approach to build credibility, relationships, and knowledge.
- Outstanding personal communicator with the stature and presence to represent the organization at industry forums and events, legislative arenas with stakeholders, partners, and other trade associations, and a track record of nurturing positive relationships with legislators, administrators, and lobbyists, as well as with senior management.
- Ability to work in a small, high performing organization with a professional environment and Ally service-focused environment.
- The ability to persuasively communicate complex concepts and programs into concise and credible messages at the highest levels of government and business, with a proven track record of delivering high-volume and high-quality work.
- Executive presence and strong verbal, written, public speaking and presentation skills, for both internal and external audiences.
- A collaborative style, an ability to meet challenges and defend ideas and strategies; ability to offer creative pathways or alternative solutions both internally and externally.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
BMA offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. This position is in Washington, DC, with BMA following a hybrid work schedule. Please send resume, references, and applicable writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.