Better Medicare Alliance (BMA), a Washington, DC based non-profit that advocates for Medicare Advantage on behalf of a coalition of stakeholder organizations and beneficiaries is seeking a Policy Associate. The Policy Associate is responsible for supporting the Policy and Research team in the review and analysis of new regulatory and legislative policies; supporting the development and management of research deliverables; and writing policy resources and documents for the organization. The Policy Associate will work closely with the Senior Director of Policy and Research, Vice President of Policy and Research, the Chief of Staff/COO, and the President & CEO to implement the annual strategic plan for policy and research. This position reports directly to the Senior Director of Policy and Research.
The Policy Associate will be an integral part of the policy and research team and be responsible for maintaining records of policy documents and databases, as well as interacting with BMA Ally organizations in relation to their policy and research work.
The ideal candidate will have an interest in Medicare along with the ability to grasp the specifics of health policy, to interpret and articulate policy ideas, and to interact with a variety of stakeholders on policy and research topics. BMA offers opportunities for personal and professional growth. BMA provides a growing and fast-paced environment where the right candidate will gain valuable policy and research experience while increasing their knowledge of health policy. The ideal candidate can work collaboratively with a small, skilled team of professionals and contribute to and implement the strategic vision of the organization.
- Write fact sheets, issue briefs, spotlights, and other policy documents.
- Monitor and prepare summaries of legislative proposals, regulatory policies, discussions on key policy events and reports.
- Prepare background information and materials for policy presentations.
- Assist in review of internal materials to clarify policy and provide needed information and documentation on policy issues.
- Monitor and prepare summaries of policy activities, discussions and developments around Medicare and Medicare Advantage, including congressional events, hearings, and MedPAC meetings.
- Assist with furthering the research agenda by helping to manage research deliverables to completion.
- Coordinate and/or support policy events, such as roundtables and convenings.
- Monitor, compile, and catalogue key policy articles, research, and data points.
- Participate in rapid response analysis, including drafting alerts and blogs on research and policy issues.
- Provide background and prepare memos necessary to develop policy relationships and support the ongoing maintenance of policy contacts for the organization.
- Support the development of policy material for newsletters, blogs, and other publications.
- Serve as a liaison for Ally and Government Affairs staff on questions related to policy issues, as needed.
- Minimum 2-4 years of Capitol Hill, trade association, consulting, legislative and/or health care policy experience.
- A./B.S. required; Master’s degree in public policy, government, or public health preferred.
- Strong writing skills.
- Understanding of health policy issues, including familiarity with federal health care programs, particularly Medicare and Medicare Advantage.
- Ability to synthesize and explain complex issues in clear, concise language.
- Understanding of key stakeholders, policymakers, and the legislative and regulatory processes.
- Ability to represent organization at external events, including meetings and informal gatherings of stakeholders and policymakers.
- Collaborative team player with the ability to work independently and manage priorities.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks in a fast-paced environment and deliver against deadlines.
BMA offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. This position is located in Washington, DC, with BMA following a hybrid work schedule. Please send resume, references, and relevant writing sample (maximum 6 pages, excerpts permitted with context) to firstname.lastname@example.org.