Better Medicare Alliance is the leading coalition on Medicare Advantage. Our mission is to build a healthy future by advocating for a strong Medicare Advantage.
As a community of experts, we are leading the way on health care through research, advocacy, and grassroots organization. Together, we are creating a path forward for innovative, modern health care.
Policy Priorities for Medicare Advantage
- Opportunities to expand enrollment.
- Consumer-friendly support tools and enrollment materials.
- High quality care and accountability.
- Effective care for beneficiaries with multiple chronic conditions.
- Flexibility in plan design and innovation in care delivery.
- Value-based arrangements between plans and providers.
- Adequate payments to ensure stability.
- Accurate risk payments to ensure adequacy of resources for all beneficiaries.
Recommendations for Action
- Avoid disruption and encourage growth in Medicare Advantage.
- Improve beneficiary support tools, such as Medicare.gov Plan Finder and enrollment materials.
- Remove benchmark cap for high quality 4+ Star rated plans.
- Permanently authorize Special Needs Plans (SNPs).
- Increase flexibility for plan benefit design, supplemental benefits, care in the home, and telemedicine.
- Support and strengthen the Star Rating System, including improving measures and re-establishing pre-determined quality thresholds (“cut points”).
- Incentivize value-based and alternative payment arrangements between plans and providers.
- Continued focus on Value-Based Insurance Design (V-BID) models.
- Minimize disruption to Employer Group Waiver Plans (EGWPs) by revising payment formula changes.
- Delay phase-in of Encounter Data as a diagnosis source until data accuracy and processes can be verified.
- Freeze the coding intensity adjustment at the current statutory minimum.
- Ensure accurate benchmark payments by using Traditional Fee-For-Service (FFS) Medicare data from individuals with both Part A and Part B for benchmark calculation.
- Increase transparency by publicly releasing more impact analyses and data.